Because the Russia-Ukraine battle enters its 276th day, we check out the primary developments.
Right here is the state of affairs because it stands on Saturday, November 26:
- Russian shelling of the southern Ukrainian metropolis of Kherson killed 15 civilians, officers mentioned.
- NATO Secretary-Normal Jens Stoltenberg mentioned the Western army alliance wouldn’t again down on its help for Kyiv.
- NATO forces took half in drills in northern Poland’s Suwalki Hole, a strip of land between Belarus and the Russian exclave of Kaliningrad, and of essential significance to the safety of the alliance’s jap flank.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin met the moms of troopers preventing in Ukraine, assuring these whose youngsters had been killed that he and Russia’s elite “share this ache”.
- Germany mentioned it was discussing with allies Poland’s request that German Patriot air defence items be despatched to Ukraine after NATO’s chief urged the army alliance may not oppose such a transfer.
- The battle’s first winter will now take a look at whether or not Ukraine can press on with its marketing campaign to recapture territory, or whether or not Russia’s commanders can halt Kyiv’s momentum.
- The top of Russian mercenary firm Wagner, Yevgeny Prigozhin, mentioned a former US Marine normal and a number of other British and Finnish fighters had been working for the armed group in Ukraine.
- Russian air strikes in current weeks have introduced Ukraine’s power infrastructure to its knees as winter approaches and temperatures close to freezing, spurring fears of a well being disaster and an extra exodus.
- Zelenskyy mentioned greater than six million households within the nation had been nonetheless affected by energy cuts.
- Moscow insists it’s focusing on solely military-linked infrastructure.
- In a uncommon public spat involving Ukrainian leaders, President Volodymyr Zelenskyy criticised the mayor of Kyiv, Vitali Klitschko, for doing what he mentioned was “a poor job” establishing emergency shelters to assist these with out energy and warmth after Russian assaults.
- Ukraine’s finance minister Serhiy Marchenko mentioned extra Western help is required to assist it meet rising reconstruction prices following the escalation of Russian assaults.
- Britain’s international minister introduced new support for Ukraine, together with ambulances and help for victims of sexual violence by Russian troopers.
- A gathering of European Union authorities representatives, scheduled for Friday night to debate a Group of Seven proposal to cap Russian seaborne oil costs, was cancelled.
- EU governments had been cut up on the extent at which to cap Russian oil costs to curb Moscow’s skill to pay for its battle in Ukraine with out inflicting a worldwide oil provide shock.