Right here is the scenario because it stands on Wednesday, October 19.
- The brand new commander of Russian forces in Ukraine made a uncommon acknowledgement of the pressures they’re below from Ukrainian offensives to retake southern and jap areas that Moscow claims to have annexed simply weeks in the past.
- The scenario in areas Russia claims to have annexed was “tense”, with Russian troops in some areas below steady assault, mentioned Sergei Surovikin.
- The Russian-appointed governor of Kherson on Tuesday introduced the evacuation of 4 cities within the area.
- Russian air assaults have destroyed 30 % of Ukraine’s energy stations since October 10, inflicting large blackouts throughout the nation, Ukraine President Volodymyr Zelenskyy mentioned.
- Russian assaults hit an influence plant in Kyiv, killing three individuals, and power infrastructure in Kharkiv within the east and Dnipro within the south. A person sheltering in an condo constructing within the southern port metropolis of Mykolaiv was killed, and the northern Ukrainian metropolis of Zhytomyr was with out water or electrical energy.
- Each side traded blame for the in a single day shelling of Russian-held Enerhodar – the city the place most of the Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy station staff stay.
- Worldwide Atomic Vitality Company chief Rafael Grossi expects to return “quickly” to Ukraine, he advised Reuters, amid negotiations to determine a safety safety zone across the Russian-occupied Zaporizhzhia nuclear energy plant.
- Ukraine’s overseas minister mentioned he proposed a proper lower in diplomatic ties with Iran after a wave of Russian assaults utilizing what Kyiv says are Iranian-made drones.
- Iran has denied supplying drones, and Russia has denied utilizing them.
- Britain, France and america plan to boost alleged Iranian arms transfers to Russia at a closed-door UN Safety Council assembly on Wednesday.
- NATO mentioned Ukraine would obtain anti-drone defence programs within the coming days.
- Russia’s Duma has stopped broadcasting stay plenary periods to guard info from “our enemy”, a number one MP mentioned as parliament’s decrease home debated Ukraine.
- Estonian lawmakers adopted a press release that declares Russia a “terrorist regime” and condemns its latest annexation of 4 Ukrainian territories.
- Russian overseas minister Sergey Lavrov mentioned Russia doesn’t want a diplomatic presence within the Western states. “There’s neither level nor want to keep up the earlier presence in Western states. Our individuals work there in circumstances that may hardly be known as human … they face threats of bodily assaults. [M]ost importantly, there’s no work to do since Europe determined to close off from us … You possibly can’t pressure love,” information company TASS quoted Lavrov as saying.